Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Adventure is out there!"

I like to measure my life in what I call the "How did we get here"-moments. Moments like these can be all kinds of things. Sometimes they're wonderful and other times they're not. They can be caused by a specific event but not necessarily. I've had some pretty ridiculous ones with some pretty ridiculous people, but I've also had some happen alone, during the most monotonous of routines. Really, their only defining quality or common denominator is that they make you stop and and wonder, as one could assume, "HOW DID I GET HERE?"

I'll be honest, this post is mostly for me, because I've found myself in one of those moments. It's 11:30 at night the day before I leave, and I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around this whole Fulbright thing. Tomorrow, I'm moving to Thailand. To teach English. For a year. Wow. Really?

It's funny how something I've thought and talked about for so long can still feel so surreal. Applying and preparing for Fulbright has been, for a lack of of a better word, or maybe one that's appropriate for all audiences, such a process. Hardly a day has gone by when Thailand hasn't been on my mind or part of a conversation, it's almost funny that tomorrow, (or as I look at the clock, today) still managed to sneak up on me. I usually feel like I should have left months ago, but all the sudden, now that I'm finally leaving, I can't believe I'm heading out today. So crazy!

For the time being, I'm just going to focus on something that is a little more tangible, a little more part of my immediate reality--the not quite packed suitcases waiting for me upstairs in our living room! :-)

Until Bangkok,
Gracie








1 comment:

  1. You love culture! You love people! You'll be great at this!

    ReplyDelete